O-Blog-Di, O-Blog-Da

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

I Drank the Kool-Aid

Finally. I am jumping on the blogging bandwagon with the hope that...well, with hope for a lot of things. I discovered the blogosphere in all it's glory this past summer. I have spent many hours reading, laughing, crying, and learning from an amazing online community that I want to be part of. Something has held me back until now, when I need an outlet most. My husband can only listen to so much! I'm jumping in head first, putting my feelings on the line. Please be nice!

I am living abroad, feeling displaced and anxious to go home. The first few months were fun, don't get me wrong. I'm not going to say I've hated every minute of it because that wouldn't be true. My husband and I were really excited to have the opportunity to live abroad before we have children (if we are fortunate enough to have them-I don't take that blessing for granted). He's here for his career and I came to support him-a decision that was 100% mine. I even managed to find a kick-ass job which furthered my own career for the majority of the time we've been here, but it was contract work that ended in October.

For a while it was enough to feel competent and worldly, tackling a culture and language that is so different from what I know. I'm proud that I can speak enough to get around and do the things one needs to do to live a normal life here. Unfortunately, the novelty has worn off and there are just so many things I miss about home-my family, my dog, my job, and good western food, to name some. I've realized that it's just plain hard to go beyond your comfort zone and try to make it in a world that isn't your own. It's humbling.

We'll have a good dose of home over the holidays, when we will be in the States for three weeks. I'm counting the days until we fly. I'm hoping to return to Asia renewed, with a positive attitude and a plan for how I'm going to spend the rest of my time here. I'm hoping that I will find new open doors and opportunities that could come along no place else. I'm hoping that my husband and I will be blessed with the news that we are starting a family of our own. I'm also hoping that I'll make some friends through this blog who will help keep me company along the way.

Welcome to my world. I promise that all of my posts won't be as sober and dramatic as this one. I just feel the need to make it known where I'm at, in my life and in my head. Thanks for listening.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home